Natural Therapies for Down Syndrome
Often parents of children with Down syndrome are told that their child has a genetic condition and that there is nothing that they can do to change or improve their health, other than surgeries to repair any congenital defects and medications to affect mood or focus. They are then encouraged to accept their child's medical struggles exactly as they are and sent out the door!
Why Worry about Oxidative Stress?
Some of these antioxidants work in a team, like on a production line. One of the body’s main antioxidant teams is SOD, glutathione peroxidase, and catalase. SOD turns oxygen free radicals into hydrogen peroxide. Glutathione and catalase then break hydrogen peroxide down into harmless water and oxygen.
In Down syndrome, SOD is overproduced because it’s code is on chromosome 21. The codes for the two other members of it’s team, however, are located on other chromosomes, so they are not produced enough to keep up with the overproduction of SOD. That means that the assembly line for removing free radicals is constantly being overloaded by hydrogen peroxide, a highly damaging substance that causes cell death, rapid aging, and a shorter lifespan.
Preventing Alzheimer’s Disease
What Else Can We Do?
- Protection from leukemia, a life-threatening cancer common in DS
- Prevention and treatment of upper respiratory infections
- Support for depression, anxiety, and other mood issues
- Support for individuals with other diagnoses such as autism or ADHD
- Neurotransmitter balancing
- Improving thyroid function
- Identifying and improving common vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- Support for GI problems like Celiac disease, constipation, and GERD
- General support for the whole family!
Why let your child or your loved one’s diagnosis prevent them from getting the best medical support possible? With the right care and the right therapies, people with Down syndrome can lead happier, longer, and healthier lives than ever before.
- The Benefits of Having a Sibling with Down Syndrome
- New Research for Treating Down Syndrome, Dr Erica Peirson, Naturopathic Doctor News & Review.